TheGazette.com Terms of Service
Trademarks, Copyrights & Restrictions
All “Materials” on these sites, including but not limited to, images, illustrations, audio clips, video clips, are protected by copyrights which are owned or licensed by Gazette Communications. You may not reproduce, perform, create derivative works from, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute in any way whatsoever any Materials without prior written permission. However, you may download or make one copy of the Materials, and other downloadable items displayed on the site, for personal non-commercial home use only, consistent with the purpose for which the Materials are made available, provided all copyright and other notices contained in the Materials are left intact. Any modification of the Materials, or any portion thereof, or use of the Materials for any other purpose constitutes an infringement of copyrights and other proprietary rights. Use of these Materials on any other web site or other networked computer environment, whether by way of copying the Materials or by linking to them, is prohibited without prior written permission.
Copyright on materials contributed by users of Gazette Communications web sites is held by the individual creators. All postings, messages, text, files, images, graphics, photos, audio clips, sounds, video or other materials (the “Content”) posted on, transmitted through, or linked from our web sites, are the sole responsibility of the person from whom such Content originated. You are entirely responsible for all Content that you post, email or otherwise make available through the site. For all Content provided by you, you agree to indemnify Provider as provided below. By uploading or otherwise posting any Content on the sites, you represent and warrant: You own or otherwise have all necessary rights, including but not limited to copyrights, to the content you provide and the rights to use it as provided in this Terms of Service
- All information you provide is true, accurate, current and complete, and does not violate these Terms of Service
- The content will not cause injury to any person or entity.
- You agree not to upload, transmit, distribute or otherwise publish in any forums connected with Gazette Communications any materials which are:
- libelous, defamatory, obscene, abusive, pornographic, threatening or an invasion of privacy;
- an infringement of the intellectual property rights, including, but not limited to, copyrights and trademarks, of any person or entity
- illegal in any way or which advocate illegal activity
- an advertisement or solicitation of funds, goods or services.
For all such information and material you grant Gazette Communications, its affiliates and related entities and its affiliated newspaper a royalty-free perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and license to use, copy, modify, display, archive, store, distribute, reproduce and create derivative works from such information, in any form, media, software or technology of any kind now existing or developed in the future.
No Pre-Screening or Editing
Gazette Communications web sites offer weblogs, forums, photo galleries and other interactive areas where users can express opinions and share ideas and information. Gazette Communications cannot and does not monitor all of the material posted or transmitted to the site. Additionally, Gazette Communications does not control and is not responsible for Content made through the site by members. By using the site, you may be exposed to Content that you may find offensive, indecent, inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise objectionable. You agree that you must evaluate and bear all risks associated with the use of the site and any of its Content, including but not limited to, whether you should rely on said Content. You also agree that under no circumstances will Gazette Communications or its affiliates be liable in any way for any Content or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any Content posted, emailed or otherwise made available via the Site. You acknowledge that Provider does not pre-screen or approve Content, but that Gazette Communications shall have the right (but not the obligation) in its sole discretion to refuse, delete or move any Content that is available via the site, for violating the letter or spirit of the Terms or for any other reason. The Company reserves the right to delete any posting, message or photograph at any time, for any reason or no reason.
- Termination - Gazette Communications may, in its sole discretion, terminate or suspend your access to all or part of its sites, including but not limited to, any forums on its sites, for any reason including, without limitation, breach of this agreement. In the event this agreement is terminated, the restrictions regarding Materials appearing on its site, and the representations and warranties, indemnities, and limitations of liabilities set forth in this agreement shall survive any such termination.
- Jurisdiction - These sites are controlled and operated by Gazette Communications from its headquarters in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Gazette Communications does not represent or warrant the Materials on the sites are appropriate or available for use in other locations.
The information you receive from Gazette Communications is protected by copyright laws of the United States. The copyright laws prohibit any copying, redistributing, retransmitting, or repurposing of any copyright-protected material. Gazette Communication Inc. grants Internet users a limited right to copy or transmit local content for personal use. Gazette Communications does not have authority to grant reprint or distribution rights to content from news syndicates and news services. If you are interested in using this content, please contact the content provider.
- Information Collection - As a general rule, Gazette Communications does not collect personally identifiable information from users under the age of 13. However, from time to time, Gazette Communications may collect personally identifiable information from a child like, but not limited to, name and e-mail address. We may use this information for research, to customize information delivery for the user, and to contact the user in the case of contests and other activities.
- Information Sharing - Gazette Communications will not rent or sell or otherwise provide children's personally identifiable information to anyone. Gazette Communications will not contact users under the age of 13 about promotions, contests or other activities without parental consent.
- Updating and Deleting Information - If a parent chooses to not allow Gazette Communications to further collect or use the child's information, that parent can send or email our Audience Development & Marketing Department to request information be deleted, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gazette Communications cares about your privacy.The following outlines our information gathering and dissemination practices for our web sites:
- IP Address - We use your IP address, i.e, the location of your computer on the Internet, to help diagnose problems with our server and to administer our web sites. Your IP address is used to gather broad demographic information. If you request that your ID name and password be saved through your internet browser, we will set cookies on your computer so you don't have to re-enter your user name and password each time you visit our sites.
- Contests & Surveys - Our site’s registration forms, contests and online surveys may require users to give us contact information like, but not limited to, name and email address and demographic information like, but not limited to, ZIP code, age, or income level.
- Contact Information - From time to time, we may use customer contact information to send the user information about our company. The user's contact information is also used to contact the user when necessary.
- Demographic Data - We may use demographic and profile data to tailor our users' experience at our sites, showing them content that we think they might be interested in and displaying content according to their preferences. This information is shared with advertisers on an aggregate basis, to demonstrate facts about our overall audience. This helps facilitate their decision to advertise here, which is to our benefit and yours. Users may opt out of receiving future mailings; see the choice/opt-out section below.
- Personal Information - When you are on a Gazette Communications web site and are asked for personal information, you are sharing that information with Gazette Communications alone, unless it is specifically stated otherwise. Please be aware that Gazette Communications advertisers or web sites that have links on our site may collect personally identifiable information about you. This privacy statement does not cover the information practices of those web sites. Gazette Communications is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such web sites.
- Public Forums - Gazette Communications allows text and video commenting in various areas of our sites. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information.
- Choice/Opt-Out - You can opt-out of receiving communications from Gazette Communications at any time. To remove your information from our database and not receive future communications or to no longer receive our services send an email with your name, address, email address and telephone number to Audience Development & Marketing: email@example.com.
- Correct/Update – To change or modify the information you previously provided, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contacting Us - If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of these sites, or your dealings with Gazette Communications web sites you can contact Audience Development & Marketing: email@example.com.
Gazette Communications Email Policy
Web sites operated by the Gazette Family of Companies do not send unsolicited email. You receive emails from us because you signed up for our email service with the understanding that your email address would be put on an email list. If at any time you wish to change your email preferences or unsubscribe, you may do so by contacting Audience Development & Marketing at firstname.lastname@example.org
Article comments policy
TheGazette.com offers commenting on stories as a way for you to join a conversation. As a member of the media we believe in freedom of speech. TheGazette.com stands behind the same First Amendment rights that allow us to uncover and discover important and relevant stories every day. At times the comments will be passionate and spirited. At the same time, they may be mean-spirited and unsettling. TheGazette.com believes both types of conversations promote an open exchange of ideas. TheGazette.com reserves the right to remove a comment at any time, but we will not remove a comment because some users disagree or find it offensive. It is our hope that if a comment elicits a passionate response that you will direct your thoughts and feelings to that conversation. Join in and speak your mind! Comments do not necessarily represent the views of staff or management at The Gazette, TheGazette.com or SourceMedia Group. Moderation is limited. Users have agreed to the following terms and in doing so accept full responsibility for their comments: By submitting a comment to this web site, I affirm that I have read, understand, agree to and shall abide by the following rules and regulations as a term and condition of all comments which I may post. As terms and conditions of using this KCRG web site, I agree that I am fully responsible for the contents of all statements which I make. To the best of my knowledge, all such statements are true, fair, and accurate. I shall not post any statements which attack a person’s integrity or moral character, expose a person to public hatred, contempt or ridicule, deprive a person of the benefits of public confidence and social dealings, or injure a person in the maintenance of that person’s business. I shall not knowingly post content that violates the copyright, trademark, patent or other intellectual property right of a third person. I shall not post content that is false, liable, defamatory, obscene, abusive, that violates a person’s right to privacy, that otherwise violates any applicable local, state, national or international law or that is otherwise inappropriate. I acknowledge that if I post a comment which violates this policy that an offended person to whom comments are directed may have a right through judicial process to determine my identity and make a claim against me for damages. I agree that I shall indemnify KCRG, its employees, agents, representatives and affiliates from any and all expenses KCRG may incur as a result of comments I post which violate this policy, claims and/or damages, including but not limited to reasonable attorney’s fees and costs. KCRG is not responsible for the contents posted or anything arising out of the use of the contents or other interaction and has no obligation or duty to monitor or control any posting but does reserve the right to screen, refuse to post, remove, or edit user generated comment. In order to use the article comment feature you must be a registered user and validate your email address. A user name will be displayed with your comment. Comments that include profanity, personal attacks or other information deemed inappropriate will be removed from the forum. Comments that do not stay on topic of the article can be deleted at any time. Comments can be removed for any reason at any time. Users who violate any of the article comment standards will be blocked from contributing. You are solely responsible for the content you post.
Photo & content reprints
Permission to reprint content that appears in The Gazette
The content (text, photographs and graphics) of The Gazette, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, is protected by federal copyright laws and may not be reprinted without written permission. The Gazette reserves the right to deny permission to any party seeking to reprint its photographs, articles and artwork for editorial or commercial purposes. Permission Form Fees to republish content vary based on how the content will be used. To secure permission to republish and to discuss the fee for the use of Gazette content, contact the Archive Curator by email at email@example.com or by phone at 319-398-8328.