Letters to the Editor
- Length limit: 250 words
- Frequency limit: once every 30 days
- Must include writer’s full name, address and day-time telephone number (address and phone number for verification only)
- Author vouches for originality; no form letters
- No petitions
- No poetry
- The Gazette reserves the right to edit letters for length, redundancy, clarity, civility and accuracy.
- Letters should come from individuals, even when they represent a group or organization’s view point.
- Most important, the point of letters is to opine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
- The Gazette will consider guest columns from qualified authors on various topics of public interest to our readers
- The Gazette gives preference to authors with experience, education or other background relevant to the topic who also can effectively convey perspective, ideas and depth beyond a letter to the editor.
- The maximum length limit is 600 words; the edited version published may be shorter.
- Guest columns should include a recent headshot photo of the author, as well as an e-mail address or other contact option for readers with questions or comments.
- The Gazette reserves the right to edit guest columns for length, redundancy, clarity, civility and accuracy.
To submit letters or guest columns:
- Use the online form
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Regular mail: Letters, The Gazette, 500 Third Ave., Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
- Or fax: (319) 398-5846