NEW YORK -- Thursday night about 11:20, I saw four TV crews from Virginia and Michigan doing live shots across the street from Madison Square Garden as part of their packages about the NCAA tourney. That was so you knew they ... were near Madison Square Garden.
On with the Fun Facts.
1, Iowa State and Connecticut have met just once in men's basketball, the Cyclones' 77-64 third-round NCAA win in Louisville two years ago.
2. Shabazz Napier had 22 points for the Huskies that night. He has scored 1,120 points since. Melvin Ejim had 11 points for the Cyclones. He has scored 993 points since. Ryan Boatright scored nine points for UConn. He has scored 880 points since.
3. Andre Drummond had two points and three rebounds in 26 minutes that night for UConn, the last game of his one-season college career. He then entered the NBA and was a first-round draft pick of the Detroit Pistons. This season, he is averaging 13.3 points and 12.8 rebounds for Detroit. He ranks second in the NBA in rebounding behind DeAndre Jordan of the Los Angeles Clippers.
4. Speaking of DeAndres, both ISU and UConn have a starter named DeAndre. The Cyclones have DeAndre Kane, and the Huskies have DeAndre Daniels.
5. DeAndre Daniels has a sibling named Romance Olivier.
6. Iowa State's all-time NCAA record is 16-15. UConn's is 54-29.
7. The Cyclones scored more points in the second and third rounds (178) than any other team in the tournament.
8. Since the start of the Big 12 tournament five games ago, Iowa State is shooting 24-of-28 from the field and 8-of-9 from 3-point distance in the last five minutes of games. Naz Long is 5-for-5 from 3-point in that time.
9. Iowa State's first two NCAA games were against North Carolina Central and North Carolina, 11 miles apart in Durham and Chapel Hill. UConn's first two NCAA games were against St. Joseph's and Villanova, seven miles apart in Philadelphia.
10. The Huskies have two players from Germany, and one each from Ghana and Jamaica. Iowa State has two players from Canada and one from England. Both teams have a player from Wisconsin.
11. ISU Coach Fred Hoiberg's grandfather, the late Jerry Bush, played for St. John's. He was on the All-Madison Square Garden tournament team in 1936, 1937 and 1938. He played pro basketball for the Kate Smith Celtics, Akron Firestones, Rochester Royals and Fort Wayne Zollners. He was the head basketball coach at Nebraska from 1955 to 1963. He was born in Brooklyn in 1915.
12. UConn and Iowa State have met twice in football. The Huskies won 37-20 in Ames in 2002 and the Cyclones won 24-20 in Storrs, Conn., in 2011.
13. Iowa State is 10-2 all-time as a higher-seeded team in the NCAAs.
14. Iowa State is located in Ames. Connecticut is located in Storrs. They are the only one-syllable cities with teams still alive in the tournament. BusinessInsider.com listed its 20 best college towns in America last year. The only one-syllable town on the list was Ames.
15. The total of the uniform numbers of UConn's starters is 31. The total of Iowa State's is 128.
16. Billy Joel has indefinite residency at Madison Square Garden. He is playing one concert per month, starting at the beginning of this year. All but December's was or is sold out. His April 18 concert will be his 50th in the arena. He hasn't released a new studio album since 1993.