Cedar Rapids police continue to piece Livingston murder-suicide details

Law enforcement visited Livingston home two nights before shootings

Published: February 1 2014 | 3:30 am - Updated: 29 March 2014 | 2:59 am in

Cedar Rapids police are trying to piece together what happened between when officers were called to the Livingston family home Tuesday night for a medical call and Thursday morning's double killing and suicide.

Chief Wayne Jerman said police were not in a position Friday to comment on why police were called to 3600 Big Horn Rd. SW the home of Robert and Ingrid Livingston at 8:38 p.m. The call is listed as a medical call, but police said they cannot provide any other details at this time.

"There are pieces of the investigation that are still fluid, including trying to determine the activities of Mr. Livingston (Thursday) morning prior to going to Banar (Drive, the location of the shootings), and one of the of the officers that was involved in (Tuesday) night's call is not coming back to duty until Sunday," Jerman said Friday afternoon.

Robert Livingston, 47, is accused of shooting his wife, 41-year-old Ingrid Huber Livingston, and his mother-in-law, 73-year-old Linda Huber, at Huber's home at 3515 Banar Dr. SW. Police said the shooting was reported at 6:39 a.m. Thursday and that Livingston shot his wife and mother-in-law before killing himself.

Police have not released additional details on the shooting, including a possible motive or the make and model of the weapon used in the shooting.

Police said the Livingstons' minor daughters were inside the Huber residence at the time of the shooting, but have not said whether they witnessed the killings. Police did say the children were unharmed.

While the events that transpired between the medical call Tuesday night, Jan. 28, and the killings Thursday morning could be a key piece of the investigation, Jerman said the department will wait until Sunday to interview the officer involved in the Tuesday night call.

"There's no threat to public safety," Jerman said. "There are certain parts of an investigation that are time-sensitive. Right now, that's not one of them."

The police department's website indicates an officer visited 3600 Big Horn Rd. at 8:38 p.m. Tuesday. Police also were at the home at 12:08 p.m., Jan. 17, for a Cedar Rapids Community Oriented Policing Program, or CRCOPPs, call, according to the activity log.

There was another CRCOPPs stop at 9:36 p.m., Dec. 31, 2013.

Sgt. Denni Randall said CRCOPPs calls generally refer to officers performing some sort of public relations, such as attending a neighborhood association meeting or church event.

"It can mean lots of things," she said. "Usually, 99 percent of the time, we're not looking to arrest anybody. We're not investigating anything."

According to the log, police performed a welfare check at the home at 8:55 p.m., Dec. 9. Randall said police would not identify who was the subject of the welfare check or describe the nature of the call. Similarly, Jerman said he did not know the details of that call, the resolution or if a report was filed.

There was another CRCOPPs stop on Nov. 5, and the log indicates a warrant was served at the residence on June 25, 2013, and Livingston was arrested for impersonating an officer. Details on that arrest were not available on Friday.

Sheriff Brian Gardner said Friday that Livingston was issued a permit to carry weapons on Jan. 17, 2013.

On Friday, an attorney representing Linda Hubert and Ingrid Livingston released a statement.

"On behalf on the Huber family, we want to thank everyone that has shown support through this very, very difficult time," said Barry Shaw Sackett, a Spencer lawyer who went to law school with Ingrid's brother, John. " We ask your consideration for the remaining family and their privacy in this difficult time in going through the grief they are dealing with. We will be working on arrangements."

Sackett said the Livingstons' two minor daughters have been placed with family. He did not comment on any other details of the killing-suicide.

"For something like this to have happened is very horrific and very tragic," Jerman said Friday. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to those families."

Have you found an error or omission in our reporting? Is there other feedback and/or ideas you want to share with us? Tell us here.

Featured Jobs from corridorcareers.com