COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Columbus Crew of Major League Soccer play tonight, against the New England Revolution.
Two problems: First, the game is at New England, so I can’t go. Two, the Crew? This is the name of a pro sports team?
The name of the Columbus Crew’s stadium is Columbus Crew Stadium. That, I like. Now, on with this week’s pregame Fun Facts:
1. Urban Meyer will be 100 games over .500 as a head coach if Ohio State wins today. He’s 122-23.
2. The last time Iowa won two straight games in this series was 1959 and 1960.
3. Iowa has 11 players from Ohio. Ohio State has no players from Iowa, though there are Buckeyes from Solon, Mount Vernon, Marion and Toledo (Ohio).
4. Ohio State has outscored its opponents 126-28 in the second quarter. Iowa has outscored its opponents 86-20 in the second quarter.
5. Fifty percent of the Buckeyes’ possessions have resulted in touchdowns.
6. Ohio State is tied with Baylor for the fewest punt-returns allowed this season (1).
7. Ohio State beat Florida A&M, which beat Savannah State, which beat Fort Valley State, which beat Benedict, which beat Virginia State, which beat Elizabeth City, which beat St. Augustine’s, which beat Stillman, which beat Benedict, and now we’re just going in circles.
8. Quint Kessenich, the ABC/ESPN sideline reporter for today’s game, is a former All-American lacrosse goalkeeper. He is a color commentator for telecasts of Chesapeake Bayhawks games in Major League Lacrosse.
9. Since the 2001 season, Iowa is the only Big Ten team with a winning record in bowl games (6-4). Ohio State is tied for second at 5-5.
10. Iowa ranks first in the nation in allowing the fewest touchdowns in opponents’ trips to the red zone, 1-of-9 for 11.1 percent. The second-fewest red-zone touchdowns allowed is Cincinnati, with 4. Ohio State opponents have 10 TDs in 18 red-zone tries.
11. Ohio State doesn’t play Michigan State or Nebraska this season, which isn’t doing Michigan, Northwestern and Iowa any favors.
Comments are closed.