Hlastradamus sees many things, some of which are visible to man. But he didn’t see Northwestern’s ill-fated hook-and-lateral coming.
That last play, which was so good to so many college football bettors last Saturday night, was evil incarnate to the prophet. He gave you Northwestern and the 7 points against Ohio State. That hook-and-lateral, which was fumbled into the end zone for a backdoor Buckeyes cover as time expired in Evanston, put Ohio State-wagerers at the pay window.
It also deprived Hlastradamus of a three-week winning streak. Instead, he was 2-3. His choice of Iowa to cover against Michigan State didn’t come down to a last-second blunder.
But Hlastradamus looks ahead, because that’s what seers do. Crystal ball hindsight is 20/20. This week, by hook-and-lateral or by crook-and-lateral, the prophet will profit.
1. Michigan -2.5 at Penn State: Michigan has the Detroit Tigers. Pennsylvania has the Pittsburgh Pirates. Look who’s week it has been.
2. Michigan State -9.5 vs. Indiana: The Hoosiers had just 47 yards in the second half against MSU last year. That was in Bloomington.
3. Northwestern +10.5 at Wisconsin: The last time these two met, Wisconsin won, 70-23. A lot of things were different then, in 2010. Bret Bielema was in Wisconsin. Jim Tressel was at Ohio State. Nebraska was in the Big 12. University presidents insisted there wouldn’t be a major-college football playoff. Things change, like the Wildcats not losing by 47 again in Madison.
4. Kansas State +17.5 vs. Baylor: Hlastradamus has a healthy respect for Baylor’s whirlwind offense. But he also respects Bill Snyder.
5. Washington State -1 vs. Oregon State: Wazzu. It’s fun to say. Wazzu.