IOWA CITY — The thing about fun facts is that they’re fun. Or mildly interesting at best. Take your pick.
1. Western Michigan was the first team to hold Northwestern scoreless in the first quarter (last Saturday in the Wildcats’ 38-17 win) in Northwestern’s last 10 games.
2. Western Michigan has scored three first-quarter points of its own in three games.
4. WMU is 3-0 in winning coin-flips, 0-3 in winning games.
5. The Broncos are 118th in the nation in passing efficiency. By the way, BYU is 123rd. That’s BYU, home of Steve Young, Jim McMahon, Ty Detmer …
6. Iowa has run 80-plus offensive plays in three straight games for the first time in the program’s history.
7. Iowa’s Mike Meyer has made 91 straight PATs covering 33 games.
8. Hawkeye receiver Kevonte Martin-Manley has as many catches (19) as any other four of his teammates combined.
9. Iowa has allowed just 19 punt-return yards this season.
10. Western Michigan has played in five bowls. Three (the Aviation, California and International) are no longer in business. The Broncos lost all five games.
11. There was only one Aviation Bowl, played in Dayton, Ohio, in 1961. New Mexico beat Western Michigan, 28-12, then flew home. Presumably. The game was played in dreadful weather before a crowd of about 3,500.
The entire 1961 New Mexico Lobos team was inducted into the University of New Mexico’s Hall of Honor in 1990 as a result of the win. The Lobos didn’t win another bowl until the New Mexico Bowl, in 2007.
Comments are closed.