Good evening. Missed the first segment. I was commuting.
I’m really going back-and-forth on a prediction this week. I was at ISU and a late score to win it. Now, I’m Iowa holding off the late surge. I have more homework to do tonight.
– Dolph said Bullock has 4.3, 4.4 speed and might see more time at WR. He also says Canzeri has come back from the ACL a little slower than normal. (I don’t remember that being the case, but he didn’t play last season, so there that is.) He says LeShun Daniels has good hands. He says the WR group needs work. (Yes.)
– Dolph mentions a fan poll in The Register. He said he didn’t see the result, but thanked folks for votes. (If anyone knows the results, please, let me know. I didn’t see this. Interesting poll. I’m sure it fell around school lines.)
– Mert from Keokuk said Iowa has the best coach, best team and best radio announcer in the business. Mert is a very enthusiastic Iowa fan. Mert loves the Hawkeyes. Sounds like a nice lady.
– Dolph is asked about the fake punt vs. NIU. He said Norm Parker was screaming from the press box in the 2010 Wisconsin game to watch for the fake. The Badgers pulled it off. NIU pulled it off. There it is.
– Question on James Vandenberg and why Jake Rudock didn’t play last season. I think the reason that’s still coming up is NIU game and Rudock’s second pick there. Dolph states the case for Vandenberg and brings up a lot of the stuff I always do when asked about Vandenberg. It wasn’t all on him. He didn’t help himself at times, but he didn’t get help at times, either.
– RB Michael Malloy comes up on the program. Malloy hasn’t dressed for the first two games. Dolph says medical problems. Says not to ask Ferentz about it three times. (I’ve only asked twice.)
– Clapping for Kirk Ferentz’s entrance.
– KF says practice has been good. Worked with wet footballs tonight with a rain rolling through Iowa City.
– Dolph said 40 to 50 percent chance of shower Saturday night in Ames. I haven’t seen that, but it will be cooler.
– KF on ending the losing streak: Some of the errors took away from it. Mentioned the kicking game and penalties. Did reach a critical momentum because of the small mistakes. Said some of the penalties were bad judgment. (I’m thinking the late hits along the sideline and maybe one of the holds.)
– DE Nate Meier question: He could play a couple of positions. They think that’s the best place for him. A little undersized, but doing good things.
– KF on Malloy: We’ll re-visit it during the idle week. He has a medical issue.
Malloy hasn’t dressed in the first two games. If he’s out until the idle week, he’ll miss Iowa’s first six games.
– KF’s favorite ice cream is Cherry Garcia, BTW. He said he was a Grateful Dead fan, but “not a Dead Head.” I know that recruiting coordinator Eric Johnson is a big Grateful Dead fan. Me? I’m starting to dip my toe into it. I did see them in Albany back in ’89, man.
– Question on coverage: Pass defense is all 11 guys. They’ve had some injury issues.
He didn’t directly mention sophomore CB Jordan Lomax, who sat out last week with a hamstring strain. On Tuesday, Ferentz said Lomax would be evaluated late in the week. He mentioned freshman Desmond King, who started last week, senior Gavin Smith and sophomore Sean Draper as the corners this week, along with senior starter B.J. Lowery.
Nothing definitive on Lomax’s health.
– Matt from Omaha! Great guy.
He asked about Mark Weisman and another Nate Meier question. He’s a very popular player. They feel DE is his best position right now. They hope to expand his role and give them speed on the edge.
They love Weisman. Why not? He’s perfect in all regards. Seriously. Selfless, tough, hard-worker. He’s the quintessential Iowa football player. Lots of team respect. Third game in a row he’s been elected captain.
– KF on Bullock, Canzeri: Room for all four. History has proven they’ve needed all four. They don’t want to use up Weisman in the next four weeks.
– On Daniels: He acts like he belongs. Nothing seems to overwhelm him. Positive start.
– On Canzeri: Really practiced well. One nice run, one cut. “I could see him playing more and more as we go along here.”
– Question on attacking downfield (mostly a TE question) and a Matt VandeBerg question: Matt was the same way (as Daniels). He’s learned a lot. Runs good routes, sure hands. Made the decision a week ago. Not the biggest guy. Keep pushing him forward.
On TEs: There are short and medium routes. They have to be open for the ball to go there. TEs have been down there. You just don’t notice when the ball doesn’t go there. All five TEs need to be involved (that’s a lot).
They will keep rotating WRs.
– On ISU pistol: Little tougher to predict which way the run is going. It’s trickier, but it’s still about personnel (KF said).
– On TE Jon Wisnieski: Good TE prospect. Also Alden Haffar: Cleaning up technique issues. Doing OK, otherwise.
– KF said James Vandenberg had a workout with a team (didn’t say which). He hadn’t heard if he was signed. Said it was a team with an injury at QB.
– 27 Hawkeyes in the NFL. Iowa has four former players on the Eagles. Brandon Myers had seven catches for the Giants. I knew I should’ve taken him in fantasy football.
Time for homework for me. Watching the ISU-UNI game online.
Have a good night.