Iowa will try to snap a six-game losing streak against Northern Illinois today. That ties Iowa for eighth longest in the nation.
That’s the first though today.
– Quarterbacks and tight ends are out of the tunnel warming up.
Today is Jake Rudock’s first start, first snap, first everything.
Here’s this quote from his offensive coordinator Bryan Baucom at St. Thomas Aquinas, the Fort Lauderdale, Fla., high school that Rudock (pronounced “Roo-dock) attended: “For us he didn’t have to run, but he ran when needed. We ran the veer option with him. We weren’t scared to run it with him. He can run. I think it’s because he’s tall and thin, people think he looks like Bambi running. He can run.”
Looks like Bambi when he’s running. We both laughed at that one.
This post will be updated up to kickoff.
Hey, it’s the season.
– The mist fans are on behind Iowa’s benches. They don’t kick off much mist.
– Iowa injury report: I’ve not heard much of anything. I think Iowa is fairly healthy. That will obviously be what I’m watching for in pregame.
– Iowa specialists jog out.
– Team arrival pics from Gazette photographer Brian Ray:
– Specialists are out.
Let’s see what we see with FGs.
Mike Meyer boots 43-yarder into north end zone with ease. Marshall Koehn hammers the ball like it owes him money.
Koehn is the No. 2 punter. Long live Jonny Mullings.
Meyer’s range seems to be 40 to 50.
– I know Koehn is probably the No. 2 placekicker, too, but the walk-on Alden Haffar has a strong leg.
– Receivers out there.
– KF on radio pregame.
KF on hurry up: Play it by ear. Better at it. Did it all spring and camp. Let the game dictate. More confidence in it and whole O.
KF: “It’s easy to say no-huddle is going to be the answer, execution is still the answer.”
KF WR who moves the chains: Basically said everyone. Did bring up Tevaun Smith.
– Susprisingly, LB Christian Kirksey leads the Hawkeyes in their mass huddle before warmup. He’s kind of a quiet guy.
– No RB Michael Malloy. He’s not out there. Not sure what the deal is. I know he was hampered with a hamstring injury early in camp.
– It also looks like CB Reese Fleming is out.
Where could the Hawkeyes least afford an injury? I think it’s corner.
– Team is in the lockerroom. 23 minutes to kick.
– Rob Brooks on Iowa’s radio broadcast just said the temp of the FieldTurf has been measured at 163 degrees.
– Couple final pregame pics:
– NIU coach Rod Carey started last season as the OL coach. Was promoted to OC after game 1 (OC left for another gig, I think). By the end of the season, he was NIU’s head coach in the Orange Bowl.
– And finally, the man under the gun in the sun.
– The next sounds you hear from Kinnick Stadium will be “Back in Black.”
Enjoy the game.
Comments are closed.