With school starting again in Cedar Rapids this month, police are reminding motorists to be on the lookout again for children.
The Cedar Rapids Police Department advises:
- Slow down in school and residential areas.
- Watch for warning signs that children are in the area, such as bikes, crossing guards and school buses.
- Obey school bus stop laws and traffic signs.
- Clear fogged windows.
- Avoid school zones during arrival and dismissal periods.
Children also have a role to play in keeping safe, police said. Students walking or riding to school are advised to:
- Walk the safest known route to and from school.
- Avoid walking alone.
- Know where there are safe places to go in the event of an emergency.
- Cross the street at crosswalks and designated school crossing zones when possible.
- Never cross the street between parked cars.
- When no sidewalk is present, walk on the far left side of the street, facing traffic.
Parents are also advised to help their children figure out the best route to school and to teach the children how to estimate when there is enough time to cross a street.