A smoky fire that may have started in a wood burning stove caused significant damage to the home of a former Cedar Rapids City Council member.
The fire at 3592 Rogers Rd. NW, the home of Dave and Sue Kramer, was first reported around 8:20 a.m. Wednesday, when Dave Kramer noticed smoke pouring from the roof of his home as he was leaving. Dave Kramer retired as director of the Cedar Rapids Parks and Recreation Department.
The first fire units on the scene said thick smoke from the fire was visible from on Edgewood Road NW, about a quarter mile away.
Fire officials say Dave Kramer was the only person home at the time, and he got out safely. The house sustained significant damage, officials said.