Iowa congressman Bruce Braley is asking Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to release classified footage of the attack on the U.S. Embassy in Benghazi, Libya.
Terrorists launched a coordinated attack on the compound on September 11, 2012, killing four Americans, including the ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens.
Congress saw a video last month showing the attack, but that video has never been made public. In a letter to Secretary Clinton, Braley said is asking the Obama administration to declassify portions of that video so the public can see how events unfolded.
“I’m calling on the administration to release this video because the American people deserve transparency and a clearer understanding of what really happened in Libya on that terrible day,” said Braley. “Without endangering any national security, I believe that this video can be declassified in order to give everyone a true understanding of this attack.”
Here is the full text of Rep. Braley's letter:
January 25, 2013
The Honorable Hillary Rodham Clinton
U.S. Department of State
2201 C Street NW
Washington, DC 20520
Dear Secretary Clinton,
As Members of Congress seek facts on what happened in Benghazi, it’s important that the American people also be given all information that is available and not necessary to be classified. On December 5, 2012, Members of Congress were shown a video featuring real time footage of the Benghazi attack.
The day after, I called on the Administration to look closely at that video and declassify as much of it as possible, so that the American people can see for themselves what really happened.
I urge you to make an assessment of the video and, without endangering any national security goals, release the broadest possible amount of footage to the American people. It’s important for the American people to know what really happened that day.
Thank you for your time and consideration regarding this matter and I look forward to your response.