Since this is the season of giving, I will offer readers of this page and our growing list of high school journalists a few ideas for the coming months.
For high school writers looking for stories during break or when they return to school, here are some stories to consider:
- It will be a new year, so have expectations changed for your boys’ and/or girls’ basketball teams, wrestling team and, if you have one, bowling team?
- A new year always brings resolutions, so what are your coaches and athletes hoping to change in 2013?
- The seasons are well under way. Has it been a surprisingly good start or an unexpected rough start?
- What did you, as an athlete, or what did one of your classmates do over break to make sure when the season kicked back in you or they would be ready to go?
- Is there an athlete on one of our teams who has been working hard their entire career and finally making an impact? Or someone who just loves being part of the team, not looking for stardom?
Also, if I haven’t visited your school to talk about our high school journalism program, email me a firstname.lastname@example.org. I have been to 34 schools in 2012 and am ready to double that to start 2013. It’s more than just writing, too. We are looking for photos and, if interested, doing a Sports Desk webcast to test your television skills.
If you are a community contributor, here’s some ideas to get you writing:
- Is 2013 the year you are going to get in shape, shed a few pounds and maybe run that first 5K or marathon? Let our readers know about your plans or how the training is going throughout the experience.
- There’s snow on the ground — finally. Write about your favorite winter activities, from cross country skiing to snowshoeing.
- Maybe you already have your eye on warm weather and getting back on the golf course or softball diamond. What are you doing to prevent injury when those seasons begin?
- Is this your first season in a bowling league, or your 30th? Tell us about it.
- Why do you still compete as an adult? Is it simply to stay healthy or does that competitive fire still burn?
- What is your sport, your passion? Maybe it’s not competing, but coaching. Let us know.
And have a great 2013.