Former Iowa wide receiver Marvin McNutt realized a dream this week when he was activated to the Philadelphia Eagles’ 53-man roster.
McNutt, who stands 6-foot-3 and weighs 216 pounds, was an Eagles’ sixth-round draft pick in April. He was released in training camp but signed to the Eagles’ practice team roster.
“It’s just a great opportunity,” McNutt told reporters this week.”I think with me maybe this is a testament to what has happened the last couple of weeks (on the practice squad).”
At Iowa in 2011, McNutt caught 82 passes for 1,315 yards and 12 touchdowns, all three either tying or breaking school records. He owns career records for receiving yards (2,861) and receiving touchdowns (28). He ranks second in career catches (170).
MOVING ON UP
Former Iowa running back Jewel Hampton was activated to the San Francisco 49ers’ 53-man roster on Nov. 27. Hampton, an undrafted free agent, was placed on the 49ers’ non-football injury list on Aug. 27 and was moved to the active roster when Kendall Hunter was placed on injured reserve.
Hampton for 577 yards and eight touchdowns at Iowa from 2008-2010. He transferred to Southern Illinois in 2011, when he rushed for 1,121 yards and a conference-high 17 touchdowns.
- Minnesota Vikings’ LB Chad Greenway (Iowa) ranks second in tackles with 107.
- Cedar Rapids resident Aldon Smith (Missouri), an OLB with the San Francisco 49ers, leads the NFL in sacks with 16.5.
- Detroit Lions OT Riley Reiff (Iowa) earned his first start at LT on Thanksgiving. He had one penalty but did not allow a sack in 89 snaps, according to the Detroit Free Press.
- Oakland Raiders TE Brandon Myers (Iowa) ranks fourth in NFL catches by a tight end with 55.
- St. Louis Rams CB Bradley Fletcher has started fourth games, has eight pass breakups and an interception.
ON THE TUBE
- Vikings at Packers, noon, KFXA
- Colts at Lions, noon, KGAN
- Steelers at Ravens, 3:25 p.m., KGAN
- Eagles at Cowboys, 7:20 p.m., KWWL