Iowa’s next two exempt tournaments are set: 2013 in Alaska and 2014 in New York City. Here’s the 2013 announcement:
ANCHORAGE (Nov. 24) – University of Alaska Anchorage athletic director Dr. Steve Cobb has announced the field for the 2013 Carrs/Safeway Great Alaska Shootout men’s basketball tournament.
The 36th annual event will feature Denver, Harvard, Indiana State, Iowa, Pepperdine, Texas Christian, Tulsa and host Alaska Anchorage.
The men’s tournament will take place Nov. 27-30 at Anchorage’s Sullivan Arena.
2013 SHOOTOUT FIELD QUICK NOTES
* Iowa will be the only previous Shootout champion, having beaten Northeastern 103-80 in the 1986 title game … the Hawkeyes also played in the 1995 title game, losing to Duke … Iowa will be the first Big 10 Conference team to visit since Michigan in 2007.
* Harvard will be just the second Ivy League school to play in the men’s Shootout, following Dartmouth in 2011.
* Pepperdine played in the first Shootout, finishing third in 1978 … the Waves will make it three straight Shootouts with a representative from the West Coast Conference (San Francisco, 2011; Loyola Marymount 2012).
* Texas Christian will make its second Shootout appearance (1995).
* Tulsa features former Shootout star as head coach Danny Manning will be entering his second year on the Golden Hurricane bench; Manning was a freshman all-tourney selection on Kansas’ 1984 Shootout runner-up squad.
* Denver and Indiana State will be making their Shootout debuts.
* Alaska Anchorage – the only Div. II team in the field – has won at least one game in five straight Shootouts and 29 of 35 overall.
Comments are closed.