Iowa fullback Mark Weisman is unable to catch a pass under pressure from Iowa State linebacker A.J. Klein during the second half at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City on Saturday, September 8, 2012. (Cliff Jette/The Gazette-KCRG TV9)
Both Iowa and Iowa State took their lumps on Saturday, but both schools still remain alive for the postseason this year.
William Munny from "The Unforgiven."
Each team needs two more wins to return to bowl action, and New Year’s Day is a possible landing spot for the Hawkeyes. The Gator Bowl has the fourth selection among Big Ten eligible teams this year. With Ohio State and Penn State out of consideration, Iowa remains a potential pick for the Jacksonville game.
I know Iowa has lost home games by 24 points to Penn State and 32-31 to a 2-5 Central Michigan squad. Does Iowa deserve any type of mention for New Year’s Day consideration, especially if the Hawkeyes finish 6-6? Right now, that’s a laughable proposition. But as William Munny said in “Unforgiven” as he pointed the gun at Little Bill, “deserves ain’t got nothing to do with it.”
Bowls are about making money and driving commerce to their city. Iowa sold more tickets from its allotment in its second straight trip to the Insight Bowl last year than Illinois, Purdue, Michigan State, Penn State and Northwestern did to their bowls and just slightly behind Ohio State. If you consider Michigan, Wisconsin and Nebraska are destined for higher bowls, Iowa looks favorably for a berth in the Gator Bowl.
As for Iowa State, this week is crucial. It’s almost a bowl elimination game between the Cyclones and Baylor. Iowa State has only one more game as a likely favorite, and that’s on the road at Kansas. ISU’s other games are against Oklahoma, Texas and West Virginia. While it’s not impossible for Paul Rhoads to engineer another epic upset, few people are predicting wins against those schools, either.
I think both Iowa and Iowa State get back to bowls. But it won’t be easy.
- BCS Championship: Alabama vs. Oregon
- Rose: Michigan vs. USC
- Fiesta: Kansas State vs. Notre Dame
- Sugar: LSU vs. Oklahoma
- Orange: Florida State vs. Louisville
BIG TEN BOWLS
- Capital One: Wisconsin vs. Florida
- Outback: Nebraska vs South Carolina
- Gator: Iowa vs. Tennessee
- Buffalo Wild Wings: Michigan State vs. West Virginia
- Meineke: Northwestern vs. TCU
- Dallas: Minnesota vs. Iowa State
BIG 12 BOWLS
- Cotton: Texas vs. Texas A&M
- Alamo: Texas Tech vs. Oregon State
- Buffalo Wild Wings: West Virginia vs. Michigan State
- Holiday: Oklahoma State vs. UCLA
- Meineke: TCU vs. Northwestern
- Dallas: Iowa State vs. Minnesota
- Chick-fil-A: Georgia vs. Clemson
- Music City: Vanderbilt vs. North Carolina State
- Liberty: Mississippi State vs. Tulsa
- Compass: Missouri vs. Temple
- Independence: Arkansas vs. Georgia Tech
- Sun: Virginia Tech vs. Arizona State
- Las Vegas: Boise State vs. Stanford
- Kraft: Navy vs. Washington
- New Mexico: New Mexico vs. Arizona
- Russell Athletic: Miami vs. Rutgers
- Belk: Duke vs. Cincinnati
- Hawaii: East Carolina vs. San Diego State
- Armed Forces: SMU vs. Air Force
- Poinsettia: BYU vs. Nevada
- Idaho: Utah State vs. Toledo
- GoDaddy: Western Kentucky vs. Ohio
- Beef O’Brady’s: Louisiana-Lafayette (replaces Big East) vs. Central Florida
- Little Caesar’s: Northern Illinois vs. Middle Tennessee State (replaces Big Ten)
- New Orleans: Louisiana-Monroe vs. Louisiana Tech (replaces C-USA)
- Military: Kent State (replaces Army) vs. Marshall (replaces ACC)
- Pinstripe: Syracuse vs. Fresno State (replaces Big 12)
Iowa running back Damon Bullock is stopped by Iowa State linebacker Jake Knott during the second half at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City on Saturday, September 8, 2012. (Cliff Jette/The Gazette-KCRG TV9)