Four people have been displaced after a cooking fire in northeast Cedar Rapids Thursday night, authorities said.
No one was hurt in the fire, which was reported around 10:44 p.m. Thursday at Cambridge Townhouses, 2134 North Towne Court NE #4. Upon arrival, firefighters saw smoke through the apartment’s opened front door and managed to contain the fire damage to that apartment. Electricity was shut off to prevent secondary fire issues, officials said.
According to a news release, Kay Ross, 19, and three teenagers, ranging in age from 14 to 16, were in the townhouse when the fire started, but escaped without injury. Officials said one of the teenagers was cooking with grease on the stove top and had left the kitchen for a short period of time, and found smoke and flames coming from the pan upon returning to the kitchen. The teenager attempted to use a fire extinguisher on the fire, but was unsuccessful. Officials said it did not appear that the smoke alarms were activated, due to missing batteries.
Fire officials stressed the importance of not leaving cooking food unattended, and noted that the preferred method for extinguishing a grease fire is to carefully place a lid on the pan and turn off the stove.
The Red Cross was providing food and lodging for the displaced residents.