Authorities say steam from a malfunctioning boiler filled a Cedar Rapids elementary school before kids arrived.
The incident occurred around 7 a.m. Monday at Garfield Elementary School.
Fire Capt. Frank Davis says the boiler malfunctioned when a maintenance worker turned it on for one of the first times this fall.
Firefighters say the basement was like a sauna when they went in.
Fire crews turned off the boiler and ventilated the building. Davis says the incident likely wouldn’t disrupt classes and didn’t cause any damage.