Here we go again with this “Big Ten as . . .” baloney.
This one will probably bore you to tears, which aptly describes most of the 10,000 songs I have on iTunes. (I better back this sucker up pretty soon.)
Now that the Big Ten is playing the Big Ten, you kinda have to hold tight all night (Truckstop Darlin’ lyric).
1) Ohio State — Neil Young — Always been good, always gonna be good. The song? “Like a Hurricane,” more classic than a buck nut. Last week: No. 1.Next: Nebraska.
2) Nebraska — Lynyrd Skynyrd — You just know Pelini air guitars “Truck Drivin’ Man.” . Last week: No. 3. Next: at Ohio State.
3) Michigan — Bruce Springsteen — Classic program, classic rocker. Everyone loves “Rosalita,” all seven-plus minutes. Last week: No. 5.Next: at Purdue.
4) Northwestern — The Avett Brothers — “Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise” should be NU’s theme song. You just know the Avett brothers have played in the union there. Last week: No. 4. Next: at Penn State.
5) Michigan State — Fleet Foxes — You just know this is Dantonio’s jam. After last week, we’ll go with “Helplessness Blues.” Last week: No. 2. Next: at Indiana.
6) Purdue — Drive-By-Truckers — If you’ve ever been to West Lafayette, you know. I know in the context of the song, it might be a stretch, but Purdue has literally been “Puttin’ People on the Moon.” Last week: No. 7. Next: Michigan.
7) Penn State — REM — A good and classic listen that was shaped a bit differently over the years. “Man on the Moon” fits the tortured nature, which, hey, seems to be brightening by the week. Last week: No. 9. Next: Northwestern.
8 ) Wisconsin — The Replacements — Several songs fit here, but I think “If Only You Were Lonely” says it Sconnie. Last week: No. 8.Next: Illinois.
9) Iowa — Rural Alberta Advantage — They come in from the prairie and rock your head off. Or they’ll break your heart. An either/or deal. Going off last week, “Dethbridge in Lethbridge” will do. Last week: No. 10. Next: Off week.
10) Minnesota — Truckstop Darlin’ — Maybe someday they’ll rate a Letterman appearance. “Miss You More” will get you hooked (and there’s that Floyd thing). Last week: No. 6. Next: Off week.
11) Indiana — Pearl Jam — They’re huge basketball fans, too. “Nothingman” was made for Indiana football. Last week: No. 12. Next: Michigan State.
11) Illinois — Wilco — I know Jeff Tweedy is from Chicago, but I’m giving Champaign this. They need this. “Wishful Thinking” fits the mood. Last week: No. 11. Next: at Wisconsin.