It’s the Pig game.
Some of you disagreed with my call of the Paul Bunyan Axe over the Pig, but I think it’s close. The Pig has great history behind it. One comment pointed at the history and said the Axe had less than 50 years. I can’t disagree. History matters with these things, and that’s why, I think, we treat the newbies with a raised eyebrow, as in, get back to me after you’ve had a few scuffs, Heartland Bull and Heroes Thingie.
– Keep your eye out: Guard Austin Blythe was hurt last week and could be iffy today. I thought it was a cramp, but it might’ve been a lower-leg thing. Jordan Walsh or, more likely, Andrew Donnal would be up after him.
– Keep your eye out II: Rumblings that Reese Fleming is now a defensive back. Not sure it’ll matter if he keeps the redshirt on. Again, that’s a rumbling.
– Keep your eye out III: I get the feeling there might be a lineup shakeup. I could be wrong, this is gut more than anything (and, no, not at QB).
– ESPN sideline reporter Beth Mowins is working the game today. When you pay a lot of money to broadcast B1G football games you get to go fun places, like Iowa’s equipment area where you see things like big crates of PowerAde and . . .
an empty trophy case.
– Not-so-fun stat I: If the Hawkeyes lose today, they will drop below .500 for the firs time since the Indiana loss in 2007. Iowa started the ’07 season 2-4.
– Not-so-fun stat II: No matter what happens today, Iowa will have gone 11 games since putting together back-to-back victories. Last October, Iowa beat Northwestern and Indiana. Since, the Hawkeyes have posted a 4-6 record.
– And just in case: The Kirk Ferentz era started with a 2-6 record at Kinnick from 1999-00. Iowa hasn’t lost back-to-back games during the season in Kinnick since 2006, Northwestern and Wisconsin. Iowa did drop the 2011 Michigan State game and lost to ISU this season, which also were back-to-back. Iowa is 2-3 in its last five games at Kinnick.
– I have to do KCRG’s Countdown to Kickoff, so I’ll be ducking out at 10ish.
– Iowa QBs and TEs have done their throw, now specialists are out, which includes three scholarship punters and two scholarship kickers. (If long snapper Casey Kreiter isn’t on schollie, he should be.)
– Sorry, TV took a bite out of my day.
– CB BJ Lowery didn’t go through team with the No. 1s. I requested him Tuesday and he didn’t show, so I would say he’s hurt and guess it’s an ankle.
– Andrew Donnal practiced at No. 2 guard. Hmmm.
– BTW, Greg Castillo will start in front of Lowery. This would’ve been Jordan Lomax, but he’s out for the year with a shoulder injury.
– Minny is missing G Tommy Olson, CB Martez Shabazz and, of course, QB MarQueis Gray.
– RB Damon Bullock not dressed. Why did Greg Garmon spend the anthem down with the safeties? I don’t know. Maybe Malloy is the No. 2.
Three minutes to kick. Enjoy.