CEDAR RAPIDS, IA(March 19, 2012) – Mercy’s new Hall-Perrine Cancer Center opens the doors to its first patients today as Oncology Associates at Mercy begins patient care on the third floor of the state-of-the-art cancer center. Patient care was not disrupted during the transition as physicians and care providers at Oncology Associates continued to see patients in their previous building through the end of last week. The move to the new center was completed over the weekend.
Construction on the Hall-Perrine Cancer Center has been underway since Nov. 2010, with completion scheduled for this June, when the facility will be fully operational. The nonprofit, 86,000 square foot center is the only healthcare facility in the area devoted solely to comprehensive cancer care.
“The Hall-Perrine Cancer Center marks the beginning of a new chapter in Mercy’s legacy of cancer care for this community,” says Dee Eadie, executive director of the center. “It will provide fully integrated cancer services under one roof, giving patients access to leading-edge technologies; integrated services to care for body, mind and spirit; and specialized treatment and research for the best outcomes.”
Guided by the input of local patients and their families, as well as healthcare professionals, the design of the Hall-Perrine Cancer Center reflects a truly patient-centered focus. Services were designed to reduce the number of steps a patient and his or her family will have to take by more than 33 percent.
In the new Hall-Perrine Cancer Center patients will receive the care and services they need – including access to treatment at the only radiation center in Cedar Rapids, Hall Radiation Center, as well as a lab and pharmacy – in one location. From initial consultations to treatments and support services, patients are accompanied throughout the cancer journey by the center’s staff – who all work and interact with patients together in one location, based on a unified care plan. Conveniently connected to Mercy Medical Center, other elements required for cancer care, including private inpatient suites and imaging services, are just steps away.
The new facility will provide a more integrated system of care and a better experience for cancer patients, with the following notable features:
• Infusion suites include zoned heating, heated floors and infusion chairs, personal storage space and a view of natural green spaces
• Dedicated exercise facility has convenient, adjoining shower rooms
• A community room provides space for cooking demonstrations, webinars, teleconferencing and other cancer education classes
• Two healing gardens, a resource library and a meditation area offer patients and families quiet gathering spaces
• An on-site pharmacy will house the nation's first oncology robot from Health Robotics – for precisely compounding and dispensing injectable chemotherapy medications
• Café with nutritional options is thoughtfully located apart from infusion spaces to avoid food smells in chemotherapy treatment areas
• Image recovery center offers patients a private salon, as well as wigs, scarves, prosthetics and make-up options
An expanded spectrum of cancer-specific healthcare providers, including nurse navigators, social workers, dietitians, exercise specialists, genetics nurse practitioners, massage therapists and a lymphedema specialist will work in close collaboration to provide the very best care to cancer patients.
The Hall-Perrine Cancer Center represents the first major investment to be completed in Cedar Rapids’ emerging Medical District (MedQuarter).
A grand opening celebration of the Hall-Perrine Cancer Center is planned for July.Visit http://www.hallperrinecancercenter.org/cancer for more information about the Hall-Perrine Cancer Center.