Here are some bullet points:
– It’s going to be a 4-3 defense. Phil Parker didn’t mention coverage, but he did say he wants to play a safety a little lower, which might mean a lean to the quarters coverage (Cover 4) that had become tradition before the Hawkeyes leaned more Cover 2 with some man the last two seasons.
– Kirk Ferentz said he had the luxury of time and that’s why the DC search was about a month longer than the OC search.
– I asked if Greg Davis being out of football for a year gave Ferentz any pause. He said no and that Davis probably had a few opportunities.
– Recruiting, Ferentz hasn’t decided territories, but expects Iowa to recruit all of the areas it has recruited. Davis’ ties in Texas won’t be ignored, but Ferentz seems steadfast in limiting the amount of recruiting coordinators do. Parker is an excellent recruiter and has made real headway in Ohio. He said he will not be on the road as much. This basically means coordinators won’t likely be primary recruiters, but finishers or guidance.
– Just as Norm Parker did, Phil Parker wants to keep the defense simple. He believes that’s more important now with the intricate offenses in the Big Ten. He wants players moving and avoiding assignment conflict (basically blocking themselves).
– He was asked about linebackers on slot receivers. Basically, the answer was personnel. If Iowa doesn’t have linebackers who can cover wideouts, Parker said he will adjust.
– On blitzing, “Everyone has opinions,” Parker said. “I was going to ask if you could draw me up one.”
Basically, “Kirk is still the head coach. I don’t think I’m going to do anything too crazy.”
– New OC Greg Davis will call the plays.
– Parker hasn’t decided if he’s going to be on the sidelines or in the press box.
Comments are closed.