I called Iowa Western Community College coach Scott Strohmeier on Thursday to ask about running back Andre Dawson, the former Cedar Rapids Washington prep who played at IWCC last year and is now walking on at Iowa.
I asked coach Strohmeier about Rodney Coe, who committed to Iowa but didn’t qualify and is now going into his second semester at IWCC. Coe rushed for 470 yards on 76 carries and scored nine TDs for the Reivers.
Here are some factoids on Coe from Strohmeier:
– Coe remains focused on attending the University of Iowa.
– Coe remains a running back . . . as of now. “As of right now,” Strohmeier said. “We’re contemplating in the spring on moving him to defensive line.”
– He’s listed at 6-3, 265 pounds on the depth chart. “He cut a lot of weight when he got here,” Strohmeier said. “He was a little bit on the heavy side, but he cut a lot of weight and has a lot of ability. He could play running back if he cut some more weight. Otherwise, we might move him to defensive line and see what he can do there.”
Coe weighed in at 256 during the season, Strohmeier said. He came in at 270, but “didn’t look 270,” Strohmeier said.
– Strohmeier also said Coe has maintained a terrific attitude and is a positive team member. Sometimes, that can get lost when a Division I player has to transfer to a junior college.
– Coe will return to IWCC next fall. It’s a long way to 2013, but the focus is still Iowa.
I know that’s not a lot, but coach Strohmeier’s phone was dropping out. Must be recruiting.
It’s a little info anyway.