Received my Insight Bowl packet the other day. It had phone numbers to last Sunday’s teleconference, which is perfect timing. (Kidding, just thought it was odd to include that).
Here are some factoids for the Insight:
– Iowa will wear white jerseys and be on the West bench, which I believe is going to be the opposite of last year. This is for ticket-purchasing info.
– Iowa is 1-0 in the Insight. You might remember it from last December. Oklahoma is 0-1. You probably don’t remember it, a 31-6 defeat to BYU in 1994.
– Iowa is 2-2-1 when playing on Dec. 30. This spans the 1983 Gator Bowl to the 2006 Alamo Bowl.
– Iowa is 1-2 against ranked opponents this season (win over No. 13 Michigan and losses to No. 13 Michigan State and No. 22 Nebraska). Oklahoma is 3-2 with wins over No. 5 Florida State, No. 11 Texas and No. 10 Kansas State and losses to No. 21 Baylor and No. 3 Oklahoma State.
– Iowa is just one of four programs in the country with a three-game winning streak in bowls. That’s the first line in the “Iowa Thumbnail” of the Insight notes. The first line for Oklahoma? “Seven national championships” (1950, ’55-56, ’74-75, ’85 and 2000).
– Interesting notes: Iowa is 293-352-25 all-time in the Big Ten. That’s a winning percentage of .456. Iowa is 218-319-23 on the road (.410).
– These bowls notes just kind of keep going. From Kirk Ferentz’s bio: “60 of Iowa’s 161 games under Ferentz, including 48 against ranked opponents, have been decided by 7 points or less.” From Bob Stoops’ bio on the same page: “Fastest head coach to 100 wins in the modern era.”
– The Fiesta Bowl has a junior college basketball shootout. Eight teams compete in a three-day double-elimination tourney that tips off at Mesa Community College. A lot of talent will be there. If someone who recruits basketball players for a living is reading, it begins Dec. 28.
– Insight Bowl pregame party begins 4:30 on Dec. 30 and will be in Lot E on the ASU campus. OK Iowa fans, you know what to do. Drink all the beer.
– The Fiesta Bowl claims a $1 billion impact.
– Insight is a global provider of IT products.
Comments are closed.