News, news, news.
– HawkeyeInsider’s Rob Howe (as far as I know Rob is HawkeyeInsider) contacted true freshman John Raymon this morning. The 6-foot-5, 250-pound defensive end is leaving Iowa for the ACC or Big East.
Here’s Rob’s post.
Iowa D-line is experiencing an attrition cluster that will affect the roster for at least two years.
Donovan Johnson and Anthony Ferguson have departed from the 2010 class. From ’09, Tyler Harrell transferred, Marty Hopkins is not playing football and Scott Covert switched to fullback and left school. From ’08, Jason Semmes transferred to Miami (Ohio).
Before you jump to any conclusions, it’s hard to play DL at Iowa, tackle particularly. Iowa plays a Two Gap scheme, which requires D-linemen to wrestle with OLs and push them into running lanes. It’s very physical and, apparently, not for everybody.
Or as former Iowa DE Adrian Clayborn tweeted to me, “Love it or leave it.”
– I don’t know if this is a Twitter rumor or if this really happened, but it bubbled up over that that LB James Morris (ankle) and DT Tom Nardo might be doubtful today.
I don’t know about doubtful, but Morris was limping Tuesday. I have heard injured, but don’t know the extent. I haven’t heard out and I think they’ll play. Both talked Tuesday, but that doesn’t mean anything.
A linebacker injury would be devastating for this defense.
– OL Woody Orne will wear No. 90 today. He’s playing TE. That tells you what? I think it could mean Iowa is going to the “pound the ball” route. Keep an eye on this one. Interesting.
– QBs and TEs are out now. Orne is not one of the four TEs (Derby, Herman, Fiedorowicz and Hamilton). Yes, Trent Mossbrucker is out there, but he’s purely ornamental. Marvin McNutt would play QB before he would.
– A.J. Derby is not out there. This is the second of his two-game suspension for a public intox arrest during Iowa’s idle week.
– RV caught on fire at the I-380/80 interchange. The Northwestern bus took the bucolic drive down 965.
– Jordan Canzeri or Jordan Cotton out working with a member of Iowa’s strength staff. That usually means dinged. I can’t tell from four miles in the sky who it is. Whomever it is, the kid can run and looks to be fine. Looks to be a hamstring.
It was Canzeri. Historically, the pregame workout means about 50-50. We’ll see.
– Hearing 90 percent no-go for Morris. I haven’t verified that the way I’d like but sounds darker than I thought it might be.
– Canzeri is in uniform.
– Former Hawkeye and Kansas City Chief Ricky Stanzi is in the house.
– I’ve heard a Tiger Hawk will be projected on to the water tower. Don’t have that confirmed, but that would be interesting, wouldn’t it?
– Per Iowa radio: DT Tom Nardo and MLB James Morris are out. LB Anthony Hitchens is out. De’Andre Johnson ahead of Canzeri on the depth chart.
They say knee on Nardo (I heard foot). Morris has a sprained ankle. Hitchens has a giant OL knee brace on his right knee. Canzeri was trying to work out a tight hamstring.
– Tom Donatell will start at OLB, Nielsen moves to MLB.
– Kinnick looks great, BTW.
Comments are closed.