Incoming Sioux City East senior post Adam Woodbury picked up a scholarship offer from North Carolina this afternoon. Iowa is among seven Big Ten schools that have offered Woodbury a scholarship.
Woodbury, who stands 7 feet,†averaged 18.5 points and 12.4 rebounds a game last year. He also plays AAU basketball on the same team as Iowa commit Mike Gesell and North Carolina commit Marcus Paige.
Woodbury spoke with me just hours after receiving his North Carolina offer:
North Carolinaís coaches had watched you play all summer. Was the scholarship offer expected?
- "It was pretty unexpected, actually. Itís an honor to be recruited by UNC and an offer from Roy Williams."
Youíve had several accolades and plenty of attention from Division I coaches this summer at various AAU camps. Whatís this summer been like for you?
- "Itís been a very exciting time in my life. I couldnít ask for anything else. I just try to stay humble and work as hard as I can every time Iím on the court and prove to the coaches that theyíre watching me for the right reasons."
What have you worked on this summer to prepare you for the next level?
- "Iím working on everything from my post moves, to my mid-range to my jump shot, my free throws. Iím trying to get stronger. Iím trying to run the court even harder. Iíve been trying to do everything."
Whatís been your connection with the Iowa basketball program?
- "I received my basketball offer when I was in ninth grade, I believe. Ever since then theyíve told me Iíve been a top priority, both staffs. Coach (Fran) McCaffery has been on me since the day he too over. Heís definitely been in there recruiting me hard. I have a lot of respect for him."
Whatís your timeline?
- "Iím going to make my decision by the start of my high school (basketball) year. I donít think it would be fair to drag this out for my teammates. I'm†trying to give them all my focus to try and win a state title."
Where do you plan to visit?
- "I havenít made any decisions yet. Iíll be looking to do that in the next month or so."
Has the recruiting process become overwhelming at times?
- "Itís been the funnest time of my life. I havenít seen a lot of people from my hometown in a long time. Itís good to get home and see some people. Iíve traveled the country; Iíve met a lot of great people. Iíve got to play what I love to do for the last few months of my life and actually get acknowledged for it. I couldnít ask for anything else, and Iím just excited to keep it rolling."
What are your thoughts on Iowa?
- "Theyíre definitely in the mix. Theyíve been in on me the longest. Theyíre still recruiting me very hard. Letís see what happens."
What do you think of Coach McCafferyís style of play?
- "I definitely enjoy playing, getting up and down. Iíve watched a lot of Iowa games, but the previous year on the team there, I didnít watch a lot of games. But the games Iíve watched of theirs, Iíve really been excited about the offense heís running. He says they can incorporate me really well."
Which other Big Ten schools have offered you a scholarship?
- "Iíve had seven offers from the Big Ten Ė Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State, Purdue Ö †Illinois recruited me lot when I was younger but they stopped recently."
Does AAU teammate Mike Gesellís decision to play at Iowa affect your decision going forward?
- "Iím just taking it all in right now. Iím excited for him; this is his day. Heís a heck of a teammate, I love being around him the four years Iíve gotten to know him. Heís a great player, a great person. I wish him all the luck.