Spent the first 15 minutes at practice today. Lots of recruits around. A big kid with an “O” on his letter jacket. Another kid from Ames. There was one kid with a tie one, I think his last name was Davis. Looked good. I also say recruiting coordinator Eric Johnson walking a kid around the Old Capital with a T-shirt that said “Property of blank–esco football.” I didn’t gawk, but maybe Cresco?
– Cornerback Greg Castillo and offensive lineman Nolan MacMillan didn’t practice.
– Cornerback Willie Lowe and defensive tackle Donovan Johnson were absent.
– First-team O-line was Riley Reiff and Markus Zusevics at tackles, James Ferentz at center and Adam Gettis and Brandon Scherff at guards.
– First-team D-line was walk-on Joe Forgy and Lebron Daniel at ends with Mike Daniels and Thomas Nardo at tackles.
– Linebackers will be spots to watch. Filling them today were James Morris (MLB), Christian Kirksey (WLB — he did switch in and out with Anthony Hitchens) and Tyler Nielsen (OLB, back from broken neck).
– Micah Hyde, who started all 13 games at CB in 2010, played free safety. That might be a set thing. Sophomore B.J. Lowery filled the right corner spot with Collin Sleeper and Jordan Bernstine rotating at strong safety.
“We can put this guy anywhere,” senior corner Shaun Prater said of Hyde. “Micah Hyde and Jordan Bernstine make it look so easy. I’m playing corner, but I see Micah back there backpedaling and breaking on the ball. He makes it look so easy. I see good things coming out of him.”
Here are some sights and sounds from practice: