March 31, 2014 | 7:30 am
Here's a few quick observations at Iowa basketball practice this afternoon (the last open practice this year):
- Iowa runs a high-tempo offense with various lineups. Almost every scrimmage situation is in fast-break mode, which included a pair of thunderous dunks by junior post Andrew Brommer and sophomore forward Eric May.
- Guards Bryce Cartwright and Cully Payne worked together throughout most of practice. Both are traditional point guards.
- Junior guard Matt Gatens watched practice with a huge wrap over his left hand and thumb. He suffered a torn tendon in his left hand on Tuesday and surgery Thursday.
- Iowa's exempt tournament next year appears set in Des Moines. Iowa will play two games in Iowa City and face Creighton and possibly one other opponent at Wells Fargo Arena. Iowa's exempt tournament this year is in the Virgin Islands.
- Iowa did have several younger recruiting prospects in attendance but none for 2011. Cedar Rapids Washington senior Josh Oglesby, who committed to Iowa earlier this month, also attended the practice, as did former Iowa star J.R. Koch.