The over/under on the Iowa-Ohio State football game is at 37.5 or 38 points depending on which Las Vegas casino you use for all your shopping needs.
No other college game has an over/under that low this week. Notre Dame-Pittsburgh is at or around 59. Stanford-USC is 57. Wisconsin-Michigan is 56.
The next-lowest games to Iowa-OSU are Boston College-Virginia at 42.5/43 and Nebraska-Kansas at 43.
To see all the numbers for this weekend’s college games, click here.
Does this mean anything? Nah. I post it because it’s a statistical curiosity. And it because it represents how much respect the two teams’ defenses are getting. Though given the Buckeyes are 16.5 to 17-point favorites, it would appear their defense is getting a little bit more respect in this game.
Or Iowa’s offense is being taken as lightly as a feather.
Some people pooh-pooh the Vegas lines. But I heard something interesting today. Of all the lines that have been posted on NFL games this season, exactly the same number of
favorites as underdogs have covered. Which means they’ve set those lines perfectly, to get equal betting on both sides and then grab their 10 percent from the winners.
Which brings us to Hlastradamus, the former great of college football handicapping. The Not-So-Mighty H bombed out last week, making one lousy pick after another.
What was the problem? The problem was idiotic predictions. But he’s trying it again this week. Like the Iowa football team, he’s not going to forfeit this week just because the world thinks the odds are against him.
1. Iowa-Ohio State OVER 37.5. This is Hlastradamus’ first over-under pick of the year. If everyone says things will go one way (low-scoring), the Prophet has no choice but to disagree.
2. USC -10.5 vs. Stanford. Hlastradamus is full of admiration for 6-3 Stanford. But Hlastradamus is full of a lot of things.
3. Nebraska +4 at Kansas. The Huskers’ defense looked like a defense last week against Oklahoma. Kansas has been one of America’s biggest belly-floppers in the last month.
4. Oregon -18 vs. Arizona State. Oregon is going to hang a fifty on ASU. It’s what the Ducks do.
5. Idaho +31. 5 at Boise State. Just for giggles.
The Prophet wishes all of you a joyous Thanksgiving and … wait, we’re doing this again next week. Never mind.